Getting in better shape is fun—but it can also lead to real, tangible improvements in your quality of life. Research clearly shows that following the physical activity guidelines will give you many fitness and health benefits. Here are some of the benefits you can expect in both your daily activities and your general health.
Benefits in daily activities
- Better endurance for wheeling or walking longer distances
- Easier transfers in and out of your wheelchair
- Improvements in wheelchair skills and propulsion
- Enhanced self-care and mobility
- More energy and less fatigue
- More social interaction opportunities
- Improved ability to play with your kids
- More time spent with family when activities are done together
Benefits for your health
- Reduced cholesterol and fats in your blood, which can lower your risk of developing several serious chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease
- Improved ability to regulate blood glucose, decreasing your risk for Type II diabetes
- Improved mental health and lower risk of depression
- Less pain and spasticity
Click here to see the research evidence supporting these benefits.